Yes we are. In Manchester every year we have something called PEP (Personal Excellence Pathway) which is the research strand of the course that runs through your 5 years. Each year you are given a research project to complete: in first year you have a group poster, in second a literature review, in third a complete research project etc. You can read more about PEP and what the first two years involved here – unfortunately, I couldn’t undertake my 3rd year project due to Covid-19.

The 3rd year PEP project is the one that has the greatest potential for publication so a lot of students get involved with working it up for publication. Intercalation is another opportunity which students use for publication because in every intercalated degree you’ll be expected to take on an element of research.

If you’re keen to get involved in research you can always go a step further and discuss potential research opportunities with your tutors or doctors who’ll be able to point you in the right direction and help get you involved.

Let's connect! See more of my day-to-day:

Click here to see the questions already submitted - don't forget to check back there to read your answer!

Posted by:Life of a Medic

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.